Horticulture Program @ Camp Q
DSO (Unpaid group supported)
The DSO program has traditional components of a vocational Day Service Option. Participants enjoy activities such as: culinary, creative Corner, community inclusion, music therapy, and horticulture therapy.
· Their outings lean towards the Horticulture and community give back nature:
o Examples: flower shows, gardens, bird or butterfly sanctuaries, dropping off vases of flowers to area churches, etc.
· They perform volunteer activities that would include the maintenance of the 26+ gardens on the grounds of the camp.
§ Growing the plants
§ Re-potting of the plants
§ Getting gardens together each spring, clean up and planting
§ Water flowers and plants
§ Creating the signage for gardens
§ Cleaning them out and winterizing them in the fall
§ Planning for the next year
o They also work on growing items that will be used in the gardens at camp. By completing tasks such as pot cleaning, soil sifting, repotting, watering, weeding, etc.
o Creating floral arrangements from donated items to be given away to the community to increase community involvement.
§ Contacting donors and picking up donations
§ Creating arrangements
§ Sending thank you’s
· They also take part in the Therapeutic Horticulture activities that the GSE program on site teach.
GSE (This is a minimum wage paying job)
The GSE program is involved in prepping for the Therapeutic Horticulture program tasks that take place 2X a week at the greenhouse. These skills include the following tasks:
o Planning what projects are going to be done and when
o Gathering and prepping all materials for each project
o Creating the email newsletter about the program and sending it out each month
o Shopping for or picking up donations of items that will be used for these projects
o Making a samples
o Checking people into the classes and collecting monies
o Assist with the instruction of the projects and hands on assist individuals to complete it
o Organized & store all attendance sheets, direction sheets, contacts and schedules
o Make a cash deposits 1X a week to the main office
· Plan Alumni group projects
· Plan for all 6 weeks of camp projects about 120campers each year
· A planned activity for family day
This group also works on growing plants to be sold at the OWC Floral and Gift shop in Putnam.
· Purchase seedling plants or starter plants to grow
· Repot, water, weed as needed
· Work with Floral & Gifts of OWC from time to time to assist with deliveries, pot cleaning, soil sifting etc. to benefit the growing of flowers that will be sold at the Florist.
**Both programs are involved with the upkeep of the facilities and the annual calendar for the greenhouse upkeep i.e.:
· All daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedules of the facilities, building and greenhouse.
· Checking for insects in greenhouse
· Proper usage of fans, heating pads, shade screen in greenhouse
· Up-keep of the quoi pond
Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos.
Aenean eu justo sed elit dignissim aliquam. Phasellus sodales massa malesuada tellus fringilla, nec bibendum tellus blandit.